thank ya, thank ya very much 🙂
Way back when I was first vegan in Memphis, my mom got me a subscription to Vegetarian Times Magazine. We picked up some cookbooks- The Accidental Vegan & Vegan Vittles, which has a recipe for french toast. Mmm Mmm good. I remember making the french toast after finding the nutritional yeast at Wild Oats (yea! Wild Oats!). Of course it was wheat bread but I remember being soo happy with my breakfast. I had to recreate this memory recently. Having a ‘limited diet’ doesn’t mean I have to have a limited diet!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day so Eat it Up!
Buttercup’s French Toast Recipe
1/2 c milk of choice (almond is tasty!)
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (Red Star or Bob’s Red Mill are most commonly found) this gives the toast it’s ‘egg-y’ flavor
dash cinnamon (add nutmeg & vanilla if desired)
1-2 slices gluten free bread, toasted first
1 very ripe banana (also optional if you really don’t like bananas, but add a bit more milk to cover the bread)
‘butter’ for greasing the pan
nut butter of your choice (peanut, almond, sunflower) for topping off at the end!
*If you like sweeter foods, you may choose to add a spoonful of agave to the liquid mix, or just top the toast off with a little syrup or jelly! The sweetness will also depend on if you are already using a sweetened or vanilla flavored milk.
- Toast the bread! *Toasting the bread first is very important for the gluten free bread. I’ve tried it without toasting and it just came out soggy.
- Blend the milk, nutritional yeast, spices, and banana until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into a bowl big enough to lie a piece of toast in.
- Soak each slice of bread in the mixture for at least 2 minutes, making sure each side is coated. You may find you need to use more milk so you can make more toast. Adjust as necessary. Remember, I’m cooking for one!
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat while the bread soaks.
- Cook the toast in the skillet until brown, flip over to get each side.
- Top with a spoonful of the nut butter of your choice. If you have any extra banana slices, add those on top too! Enjoy!